Knee replacement surgery or knee arthroplasty can help one regain painless mobility. The surgery usually sought by people suffering from arthritis or injury can be expensive though. This is why many Americans opt for knee replacement in Mexico. By traveling across the border to get treated, an individual can save thousands of dollars.
Finding a Good Orthopedic Surgeon in Mexico
If you are considering a medical trip to Mexico for knee replacement surgery, then the number one thing to do is finding a good surgeon. Mexico abounds in surgeons – good and bad, experienced and non-experienced. In order to separate the best from the chaff you should:
· Do ample research. Read up on different knee surgeons in Mexico to find the one that suits you the best. Make sure the surgeon -
o Went to a good medical college
o Has a good track record
o Has ample experience in performing knee replacements
· Request references. If you cannot find one online, you can ask the surgeon directly for references from the surgeon’s past clients.
· Find out about the clinic. A surgeon may be great, but his/her clinic or hospital may not. While you get knee replacement surgery in Mexico you want to be as comfortable as possible. This means getting your knee surgery in an environment that will put you at ease. There are many hospitals and clinics in Mexico that are up to international standards, so there is no need to settle for less.
· Always listen to yourself. If you do all the required research to select your surgeon, but feel uneasy once you arrive at the clinic, don’t be afraid to back out. If you find something alarming, that’s probably because something is not right. Don’t ever jeopardize your health!
Being a Safe Traveler
Whenever traveling abroad, one must keep basic safety practices in mind. The Mexican government is concerned about the safety of tourists, but you still have to be a responsible tourist to make sure you have a sound trip. Here are some tips to follow when traveling in Mexico:
· Don’t go out with strangers.
· Always inform your hotel about your plans for the day.
· Don’t walk alone in unknown places.
· Don’t walk around at night.
· Carry only a limited amount of cash.
Following these tips will help you have a safe trip during your knee surgery in Mexico.
There are many cities throughout Mexico where you can get your knee surgery done. Pick the kind of place where you will feel the most comfortable. If you want to make a vacation out of it, then you can pick a city with general touristy appeal such as Puerto Vallarta or Cancun. However, if you aren’t interested in spending additional time in Mexico before or after your surgery, you can simply travel to a border town, such as Mexicali, Tijuana or Ciudad Juarez.