Medical tourism in El Salvador is a potential cure-all for those whose diminutive paychecks prevent them from seeking medical treatments in their home countries. Americans in particular can gain a lot by traveling to El Salvador for getting treated.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that over 700,000 Americans travel abroad for medical procedures every year. It’s no wonder, considering that according to the OECD Health Data 2011, the United States spent about 17.4% of its Gross Domestic Product on healthcare in 2009. And the prices of healthcare treatments keep on rising. People travel abroad to avoid these insurmountable costs while still getting quality healthcare. El Salvador has become a popular destination for American, European, and Middle Eastern medical tourists for a number of reasons. Here is an overview of what makes El Salvador a potential medical tourism Mecca.
El Salvador - Premier Medical Tourism Destination
There are a lot of reasons why overseas patients flock to El Salvador every year. Some of those reasons include:
- Affordable Treatments. Medical tourists traveling to El Salvador can expect to save around 50% on the cost of surgery, depending on the procedure. This is the cost after adding in the travel expenses. Affordability of treatments is one of the biggest reasons that tourists go to El Salvador for medical treatment.
- Proximity and Familiarity. El Salvador is a part of Central America. This is quite close to the United States and it is very easy for Americans to travel there. Further, many Americans have already been exposed to the Latin American culture, so it is much easier for medical tourists to adjust to El Salvador than somewhere that might be more foreign.
- Use of State of the Art Technology. El Salvador has great medical facilities which offer state of the art technology for many procedures. Patients will receive healthcare that is on par with what they would receive in the West.
- El Salvadorian Hospitality. The people of El Salvador are naturally hospitable people. This is an important characteristic for someone traveling for a medical reason. Further, they are very exposed to western culture and easily fulfill all of the expectations of their western patients.
- Well Qualified Doctors. The doctors working in the reputable hospitals and clinics in El Salvador are highly educated. Many of them have been educated abroad and some of them work as visiting faculty or fellows at international medical schools.
If you plan to go to El Salvador on a medical trip, then you will most likely spend a few extra days or weeks recovering. While you are there, you can explore the many heritage sites and natural wonders. There are many great restaurants that cater to almost any appetite.
Is a Medical Trip to El Salvador for Me?
If you are considering El Salvador for your medical tourism needs, then you might want to ask yourself the following questions:
- Am I in good enough shape to travel? Though the travel distance is short in comparison to many other medical tourism destinations, you should still be able to board a flight.
- Do I have a full understanding of my personal and family medical history? Whether abroad or in the US, it is important that you inform your doctor of any and all issues of medical history. This will help you avoid unnecessary complications later.
- Do I want to save money? Particularly if you have limited or no medical insurance, you may want to save money on medical expenses.
These are just a few things you should consider before making a decision to go to El Salvador for medical treatment. The number of medical tourists going to El Salvador is expected to grow over the times to come. Do your research and decide if you are going to be one of those medical tourists.