If you are one of the 100 million Americans who are officially obese according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, then you may be considering weight loss surgery. As the exorbitant stateside medical fees make it out of reach for many who desperately need to get down to a healthy weight, medical tourism is becoming more popular. For Americans, weight loss surgery in Mexico and particularly Puerto Vallarta is a great option.
Deciding if Weight Loss Surgery in Puerto Vallarta is Right for You
- Am I at least 100 pounds overweight?
- Am I healthy enough to board a plane?
- Am I free from any other medical conditions that could be aggravated during surgery?
- Have I tried other weight loss techniques and failed to lose weight and/or keep it off?
- Do I want to save money on weight loss surgery?
If you answered yes to all of the above questions, then making a trip to Puerto Vallarta for weight loss surgery could be an option for you.
Planning a Weight Loss Surgery trip to Puerto Vallarta
- Do your research on the doctor who you intend to visit.
- Try to speak with the doctor at least once before your visit.
- Make sure the doctor you have selected performs your desired type of bariatric surgery.
- Try to find out as much about the clinic as possible.
- Talk with a doctor or medical practitioner in your area about medical tourism in general as well as medical tourism in Puerto Vallarta.
- Be prepared to stay in Puerto Vallarta for at least one week after your surgery for recovery time.
- Bring a travel companion if at all possible.
- Book a hotel close to the clinic to save you daily travel time.
- Bring all of your medical records to Puerto Vallarta for your surgery. If you don’t have medical records, inform your surgeon of any major health ailments, past surgeries, and allergies.
- Carry a state issued identification card to Puerto Vallarta.
Following these simple tips will help you prepare for your weight loss surgery trip in Puerto Vallarta.
Safety Tips on Weight Loss Surgery Trip to Puerto VallartaWhile Puerto Vallarta is a relatively safe place, it is still a good idea to take precaution whenever traveling, especially when abroad.
- Don’t walk alone at night.
- Don’t walk along empty roads or alleys at night, even if with a friend.
- Don’t blindly trust anyone.
- Don’t carry too much cash at any given time.
- Do be alert at all times.
- Do keep your belongings close to you.
- Do stay in well lit areas whenever possible.
- Do get to know the hotel staff so that you can easily talk with them.
- Do carry a card with the hotel’s address and phone number in case you get lost.
These tips will help you have the safest trip possible when getting weight loss surgery in Puerto Vallarta.